Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Can you help me?



My amazing practical joke skills have been requested by a coworker. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. He may have asked partly because he wants to turn my attention away from playing pranks on him, and partly because he wants me to help him get the "other" people who enjoy doing things to him. Either way, I think it is an amazing chance to do some great handy work and have someone else to take the entire fall when the poopoo hits the fan.


I would like to take this time to regale you all with some of my best work.


I have to say one of my favorites is from last summer. Now a note before I begin this story, I live around a lot of men who are, shall we say "homophobic". I am not, I have friends and family who are gay, and I love them to pieces. My practical joke was only poking at this slight, redneck country boys phobia. I was surfing the net one day and I began reading some great jokes done by others, and one caught my attention immediately. It was a simple newsletter/sign up sheet for an odd company or group that was mailed out to an individual. Now of course when they get this letter in the mail they would be very confused and possibly embarrassed because it is something they would never have signed up for in their life!


I took this and ran with it, I ran far! I knew right away that I would be sending a "Thank you for volunteering to be a part of the gay parade in the city" type newsletter/sign up sheet to a few particular guys I know; firstly because I knew they would be so unbelievably embarrassed and slightly annoyed. I immediately went to work building a very real letter, I did quite a bit of research and work on this project, because I knew that in the end it was going to be wonderful. I sealed the letter and sign up sheets in nice envelopes with printed labels and address stickers. I had to let my husband in on the prank, because he was headed off to the city and I wanted these mailed from there, so that it looked very credible.


A week went by and the letters started to show up in the mail boxes. Some of the guys had to tell us all about the crazy mail they received, others didn't breathe a word. A few of them tried to point fingers, and some of them just whispered a few words. To this day no one knows where their letters came from, and I love it, love it, love it.


A few other small, but funny pranks I have pulled are around the office. It is always fun to have the girl at the front desk page someone for a phone call from a weekend fling. Or to change the keys around on some guys' keyboards when you know that they have to look down to type, it confuses the hell out of them. Tape down buttons on their phones, or slow down their mouse speed. Another good one is to put a piece of tape over the light on the optical type mouse, it will not do a thing, no matter how much you jiggle it, and push it around, the arrow sits on the very same spot on the screen. Another good one to do around the coffee machine - we have plastic cups that you double up when you have a cup of Jojo. I go through the pile and put tiny pin holes in the odd cup in the stack, it is funny as hell to watch someone freak out because their cup is leaking......come on, just grab another cup, quit running around and acting like a little school girl.


I could tell you more, but then I would have to kill you....cause I love to use these little gems over and over again. Feel free though to lend an idea from me, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.


No comments: